Kozhukattai is a South Indian recipe and there are many variants of it, both sweet and salted. One of them is rice kozhukattai which is a breakfast item.
Rice kozhukattaiKozhukattai is a South Indian recipe and there are many variants of it, both sweet and salted. One of them is rice kozhukattai which is a breakfast item.
Boiled Rice/ Raw Rice
- Soak rice in water overnight and keep it aside.
- Grind rice to a coarse mixture alongwith salt and very little water.
- When the coarse mixture is ready, add grated coconut to it and grind again. Make sure the mixture is not very fine.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds. Add red chillies to it and roast them.
- Add the mixture to it and keep on stirring till it turns thick and no trace of water remains. Remove it from the stove.
- After the mixture cools, prepare oval balls out of it. You can use a little water to aid the shaping process.
- Steam the balls in a pressure cooker using an ordinary vessel or an idli steamer. Add 2.5 cups of water to the cooker.
- Steam for 20 minutes and serve kozhukattai with chutney.