Potato podimas is a very common and simple recipe prepared in Iyer households. It is usually served as a side dish to go with rice but it goes well with chapati, puri, dosa and bread as well. It can be prepared in many ways but the one listed below is the classic version prepared by my mom.
- Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker. Wait for 3-4 whistles before you turn off the cooker.
- Peel off the skin of the boiled potatoes, mash the potatoes and keep it aside.
- Take a pan and add oil to it. Preheat the oil. When the oil is heated, add mustard seeds to it. When it splutters, add urad dal and red chillies (cut it into small pieces). Fry till it turns golden brown.
- Add the mashed potatoes, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well and garnish with curry leaves. Cover the pan with its lid and keep the flame low. Turn off the gas stove after 2-3 minutes.
- Additional tips : You can add garam masala during the mixing process to render it a spicy taste. You can also add ginger garlic paste to keep gastric disorders at bay since potatoes produce gas.