Muthusaram ( Mullu Murukku)
Muthusaram is a homemade snack made in the tamil brahmin household. It is very easy to prepare with easily available ingredients. You need the presser and a disc with star shaped holes to get the desired shape.
Urad dal powder
Moong dal powder
Red chilli powder
- Mix well rice flour, chickpea flour, urad dal powder and moong dal powder. To it, add red chili powder, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and ghee( can be substituted by vanaspati)
- Add water to it and mix well till a smooth dough with no lumps is prepared.
- Place the disc with star shaped holes in the press and fill the press with the dough.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is heated, squeeze the press in circular motion over the oil so that the dough is dropped in the oil. Make sure both sides turn golden brown in color.
- Using a perforated ladle, remove from the oil.
- When it cools down, you may separate the threads and store as smaller pieces in an air tight container.