This is the Palakkad Brahmin way of making sambar.
Arachuvitta SambarThis is the Palakkad Brahmin way of making sambar.Meenakshy Ramachandran
Tamarind - gooseberry sized
- Saute vegetables for a minute to remove the raw smell.
- Pressure cook dal till its cooked soft.
- Soak tamarind in hot water and extract its juice.
- Boil the vegetables in water alongwith salt, turmeric and tamarind juice.
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, red chillies, asafoetida and grated coconut. If coriander seeds are not available, you can use coriander powder too.
- Grind the above roasted mixture into a smooth paste.
- Mash the pressure cooked dal.
- Add the dal to the boiled vegetables.
- Add the ground mixture to the above mixture and heat well.
- Crackle mustard seeds in a little oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves to the sambar.